Croft Church of England Primary school welcomes and supports children with medical and health conditions. We aim to include all children with medical conditions in all school activities, including off site visits, differentiated as appropriate. We recognise that some medical conditions may be defined as disabilities and consequently come under the Equalities Act 2010.
In addition to this school policy we also use the more detailed North Yorkshire ‘Guidance for Supporting Children and Young people with Medical Conditions in School Feb 2015’
Administration of medication at school
Wherever possible we allow children to carry their own medicines and relevant devices and where children self-administer we will provide supervision as appropriate.
- We will only administer medication at school when it is essential to do so and where not to do so would be detrimental to a child’s health.
- We will only accept medication that has been prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse prescriber or pharmacist prescriber.
- We will only accept non prescribed medication if it is included in an Individual Healthcare Plan or if we have a written procedure in place for that type of medication which has been authorised by Dales MAT insurance.
- We will not give Aspirin to any child under 16 unless it is prescribed.
- We only give medication when we have written parental permission to do so.
- Where appropriate, children are encouraged to carry and administer their own medication with a spare being kept in the medicines cabinet of the school office.
- Medication not carried by children is stored in the medicines cabinet of the school office.
- Controlled drugs are stored in a locked box the medicines cabinet of the school office.
- Children who do not carry and administer their own medication know where it is stored and how to readily access it.
If your child requires medication in school please complete the Administration of Medicine in School Form – Medicine at school form – and bring this into school with your child’s medicine.
Please see School Medical Policy for full details