We encourage pupils to take on responsibilities in school to support the life and work of the school. These responsibilities include Climate Cops, our eco awareness group, librarians, play leaders, Early Years support, cloakroom and Collective Worship monitors.
In addition we have six Pupil Leadership Teams responsible for:
- Christian Values/ Collective Worship
- Health and Safety/ Environment
- Health and Wellbeing
- Online Safety
- Growth Mindset
- Behaviour and Learning
These teams provide a pupil perspective for the school. They conduct pupil surveys; monitor the school, conduct learning walks and have discussions with staff and Governors.
There is also a democratically elected school council which meets regularly and enables pupil to have a say in school development.
Pupils in class 3 have joined the Archbishop of York’s Young Leaders Award programme. This is an active citizenship scheme which empowers young people to make a difference in their local community and helps pupils’ develop leadership skills. We will be continuing with our citizenship programme this year.
Encouraging pupils to volunteer enables them to:
• Make a positive contribution in school and the wider community
• Develop self-confidence and self-esteem
• Voice their opinions and those of others
• Develop their skills as leaders
• Take on responsibilities
• Take pride in their school and community.