As the UK is becoming an increasingly multicultural society, we have a duty to provide our children with an understanding of other cultures and languages. We strongly believe in the benefit of this and have therefore implemented the teaching of French for all KS2 children (Y3 to Y6). Foundation Stage and KS1 children (Y1 and Y2) will receive language teaching as an optional subject, although we encourage and support a whole school approach.
What are the aims of teaching MFL?
Our aims of teaching MFL are for children to:
- foster an interest in learning another language
- become aware that language has a structure, and that this structure differs from one language to another
- develop speaking and listening skills
- gain enjoyment, pride and a sense of achievement
- explore and apply strategies to improve their learning
- explore their own cultural identities and those of others
The Subject Leader for MFL is Mrs Karen Donoghue.