What is the Sports Premium?
This is funding which goes directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will spend the sport funding on improving their provision of P.E and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they will do this. Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE, swimming or Change4Life programmes
- Paying for additional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions or increasing participation in competitions and the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/Sport
- Providing additional places for pupils on after school clubs, or additional clubs to increase the number of children accessing sport/PE
How will we be spending the sports funding and who will benefit?
- All pupils through PE teaching from PE experts and by introduction of new sports activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- All pupils through organised play at break and lunch times
- Least active pupils by providing targeted activities
- All pupils in inter-school competitions
- Able pupils in out of school competitions
- Pupils who attend out of school provision will get the opportunity to be taught by PE experts
- Pupils who want to attend extracurricular sports clubs
- Pupils with special educational needs to take part in gross motor skills activities
- Pupils by encouraging them to tale on leadership roles to support sport and physical activity within school
- Pupils by providing additional support to those not able to meet the swimming requirements of the national curriculum
- Pupils by embedding physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching
- Staff by providing professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively by hiring qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities